Monday, July 8, 2024

It's Hot

The turkeys are growing well out on pasture. They are still in their bottomless shelters until they get a little bigger. The heat is causing all the livestock not to eat as well as they normally would. This will slow the growth rate of poultry significantly, and cause decreases in production across all species if it continues. It definitely causes a decrease in my productivity. We use fans, sprinklers, extra water, and whatever we can to help the animals through the heatwave. My favorite thing to do is soak down the pigs, especially the heavy ones. Right now there are 9 large pigs that love their daily bath. They will lie around very lethargic until I show up with the hose. I soak them down real well in the late afternoon, and they are so so thankful. They run around and roll in the water. It's easily the best part of their day. I'm always looking for a way to give the animals even a small reprieve from the heat, and I may end up turning that hose on myself if this keeps up. Y'all stay safe and enjoy the summer. Take breaks often, drink plenty of water, wear a hat, etc... and even go swimming if you get the chance.