Monday, July 15, 2024

Lambs to Harvest

First thing Monday morning I will be hauling a load of lambs to the processor. Each time I make this trip, the sense of gravity is palpable. Honestly, I hope it always feels heavy to me. I hope I never get flippant about the terminal aspect of our relationship with the animals that we raise for meat. We have tended, nurtured, and nourished these lambs for the last several months. They have lived in the pastures right here beside my house, so we have also enjoyed the aesthetic presence they brought to the farm. At the end of the day it brings me comfort to know that we did everything we could to provide a comfortable and natural environment for their growth, development, and enjoyment. Ultimately, however, the lamb must go to slaughter. I have long been astonished by the number of folks that just don't want to think about this part of the process, they don't want to talk about it, heck, they don't even want me to talk about it. I say we talk about it more. I say make sure your kids know that the meat that comes into your house wrapped in plastic didn't just appear there. It was an animal that had to be nourished and cared for, and then harvested for our nourishment. Only when we have those real conversations can we explain why supporting local farms is important. Knowing that a Lamb had to die for me to enjoy this lamb chop increases an understanding of: How this animal was raised and cared for is important. The health of this animal is directly related to my health. The only way for me to know this info is to have a connection to a local farmer. A general respect for life, and an awareness that every bite of meat that we eat came from an animal somewhere. For the record, I am very much in favor of a balanced diet that includes meat, vegetables, and dairy. I do, however, think there is a large disconnect between the packaged food product and the actual production. Most food companies are totally fine with customers having little interest in the production. They might say, just look at the picture on the box and don't ask any questions. I say; know absolutely as much as you can about where your food comes from, and the best way to do that is by knowing your farmer.