Monday, July 1, 2024

Flying Pigs

I had just fed these pigs yesterday when I happened to turn around and catch this photo. It may not look that unusual until you realize that pigs absolutely do not like to leave the ground. Typically, if you pick one up, even just a few inches, it will make an ear-piercing squeal. So, the fact that this little guy got up on top of this hay bale of his own choosing amused me. This sight made me think of the story about the turtle on the fence post. That story is summarized by saying: If you see a turtle on top of a pence post, the one thing you know for sure is that he didn't get there by himself. That old axiom is used to analogize someone in a position of success or authority that didn't get there on their own. I'd say that virtually no one gets there on their own, so the lesson from the turtle story is to recognize the help and support that is received along the journey to success. But this pig... Unless I missed an impressive show of teamwork. He did decide to climb to the top of the hay bale, and did it totally on his own. There is probably an analogous story in there somewhere that we could workshop, maybe? Ultimately it was just an interesting moment in time that I happened to catch. It caused me to think about a turtle story that I hadn't thought about in some time. And this moment led me down a thought exercise/ mental rabbit hole that lasted another half hour as I finished chores on a Sunday evening. This time of year, something to occupy your mind as you push through chores on a nearly 100-degree day is valuable. So thanks little pig, I acknowledge your effort and appreciate your daring spirit.