Monday, January 8, 2024

Planning for 2024

For some reason, I've found it a little hard to start my planning process for 2024. I think it may be because we experienced so much change in 2023. We had to replace our beloved long-time warehouse manager, our key farm worker, and a home delivery driver. Mix in two wrecked delivery trucks all at the start of the chicken/turkey growing season. Honestly, I think I'm just still exhausted from the strains of last year. However, all that is in the past. We were able to work through those challenges, even though some lingered longer than others. The highlight of the year was Julie finally being able to quit the hospital and come work with us here at the farm. She is now settling into the role of managing the warehouse and making sure orders are packed properly and efficiently. Home deliveries were able to start back up after a few month hiatus when we hired Hannah. She is Growing into that role and is dedicated to getting the home delivery process figured out. Farm chores have been handled by me, and recently a couple of part-time employees. I enjoyed shouldering a big portion of the chores in 2023, partly because I just like that work, but also because when I do it I am constantly thinking about ways to improve efficiency. I now have a list of improvements that could take me most of 2024 to implement. Ultimately, 2023 was a good year. It was tumultuous and hard at times, but it was also rewarding and enjoyable. I wrote this as a way of digesting what 2023 was as I look back on it. I think this process will help me put 2023 to bed, and start to prepare for 2024. Hopefully, by next week I'll be able to articulate a plan for 2024. Here's to a great new year. Make a plan for yourself too. Failing to plan is planning to fail.