Monday, August 24, 2026

Strawberry Planning

For the last week or so, I have been making a lot of plans for next year's strawberry crop. We will be increasing production substantially from last year's inaugural season. As I have been making plans, I have rediscovered Google Earth. I used it years ago for small projects, but since then the satellite view from Google Maps has been sufficient. Google Earth has improved dramatically since the last time I used it. For someone who works with the land, it is so cool to lay out fields or pastures, see the exact acreage, analyze the slope, and even review imagery from previous years. I only say that to show a little appreciation for this time that we live in. Yes, technology can be quite annoying sometimes. But the things that we are able to do today that were unthinkable just a few years ago are nothing short of amazing. Each new technological advancement layered onto the previous one is simply a testament to human creativity and the spirit of innovation that has served this country well. I am happy to have my feet firmly planted on the farm, but to those of you who work in technology, I tip my cap to you. Very useful tools are created as a result of your labor.