Monday, August 10, 2026
Ingenuity
Last year I purchased this push planter that plants seeds through plastic mulch weed barrier. Let me note here that the mulch we are using is Bio360, a biodegradable, plant-starch-based product. The planter did a pretty good job, but it was awkward to push straight without standing on the mulch-covered bed. I got it done last year, but I had very crooked rows and a sore back every time I used it. This year I had a brainstorm. When I was about to plant, I looked over at our hay fork. I thought, "If I strap a board across that fork, I could use it as a seat." That way I could be right above the row and guide the planter while the tractor driver drives over the row. We planted straighter rows with less backache in a fraction of the time. I'd say that's a win-win-win.

