Monday, September 23, 2024

Let Freedom Ring

Last week, I wrote about how important it is to be present with the turkeys in this late stage of grow-out. I wrote that it's the unknown unknowns that can bite you. The very same day that I wrote that, I went out to the turkeys to find this absolutely giant bald eagle circling above the turkey pasture. This picture was taken when he was near the top of a pine tree, and I was probably 200 feet away. He is a giant bird. I've seen them around here a few times in recent years. If you like being outside on the farm and in nature, then you almost certainly like to see the wondrous animals that this creation has to offer. I am no different, I enjoy seeing these beautiful birds as much as the next guy. However, I need to know how to make a kind request that he leave my turkeys and chickens alone. I thought it was so interesting that directly after writing about unknown unknowns, I was faced with a threat that had not crossed my mind. Had I not been present, this bald eagle could have had turkey for lunch. As it was, I stayed in the pasture until he moved on. Hopefully, he found somewhere else to find lunch. Somewhere more accommodating than I was willing to be. Well, let's go see what unknown challenge is out there today.