Monday, April 1, 2024

A Different Kind of Egg Hunt

Add this to the list of things I didn't think I'd have to deal with on the farm. Sunday, yes Easter, I witnessed a crow steal and fly off with an egg. Admittedly, this is a day when lots of folks find themselves hunting eggs for some reason, but I didn't expect a crow to be pillaging our egg supply. I'd say 98 percent of our chickens lay their eggs in the nest boxes that we have graciously and conveniently located inside their shelter. However, our chickens are free to come and go out of the shelter and roam on pasture as they like. So you can imagine that every now and again a chicken finds a cozy place to lay an egg outside. We try to keep a watch on those places and gather those eggs daily. It looks like we now have some competition for those outside eggs, as this crow thought he had found the prize egg this Easter. I am happy to report that shortly after flying off, a different crow started a mid-flight fight, causing the egg-robber to drop his ill-gotten gains back into the pasture. The egg did burst upon impact, but at least we had chickens on the ground that were happy to clean up the mess. The things we see out here never cease to amaze me.