Monday, February 5, 2024

Slow Shop Project

If you know me, you probably know that I love a project. Admittedly, I have more projects than I can manage at most times... But I think that just may be a Carlton trait embedded somewhere deep in our DNA. Whether it's rebuilding a tractor or fabricating a unique tool for a specific job, we just love a project. It's been my dream for years to have a nice shop for all of my projects. Several years ago I built a pole barn. Then a few years after that we poured concrete in the portion of the barn where I imagined this shop would be. Last year we had power supplied to the barn and got the back wall built. It is a slow-go because it's kind of a luxury. Having a shop will improve our "project" life, but it doesn't directly impact the day-to-day operations. If there are chickens to feed, cows to milk, eggs to collect, hay to bale, or turkeys to haul, it all comes before projects and the shop. For a while, I've been trying to make time to wire and hang the lighting fixtures for the shop. Last week I made that my goal. After spending the week pulling a few hundred feet of wire and seemingly living at the top of our old scissor lift, I am proud to say I accomplished my goal. It doesn't seem like much I'm sure, but to be able to have several days to commit to getting this done made all the difference. Now if a project calls for pulling some night hours, I'm ready. Maybe now I can commit some night hours to finishing the walls and doors. Yall have a great week, and set some short-term goals to get things done.