Monday, December 12, 2022

Let Freedom Ring... I Guess

We have a new resident at the farm. Or if we're lucky, maybe just a traveler passing through. On Saturday I was working in the farm shop when my daughter (Jersey) texted me saying there was a Bald Eagle in the tree outside her window. This is the first Eagle we have observed on our property, but I have been aware of their comeback in our area. For years there have been multiple active (and monitored) nests at my alma matta, Berry College. (check out tons of Berry Eagle info, including live camera views, here. https://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/ ) It was easy to figure that if they remained successful in their reproductive efforts, those majestic birds would be flying in our area soon. A couple of years ago, Sharon, A friend and long-time employee of our farm, spotted an eagle and eventually located the nest on a property near her house. The clock was ticking, until now. The Bald Eagle, the majestic symbol of American Freedom, The bird that graces the official Seal of the United States, The creature Native Americans considered a spiritual messenger has now visited Carlton Farms. We can only assume he will be a return visitor, like many of you have come to be. And much for the same reason. What is that reason? It's not our good looks or glowing personalities, it's because the food we produce is so delicious and nutritious. While we welcome your return weekly, or however often you come to visit, we are a little more conflicted about the future visits from our newest guest. Before you criticize me for maybe not wanting our national bird to take up residence here, let me say that the noble gentleman Benjamine Franklin is on my side. He characterized the eagle as "a bird of bad moral character" and one that "does not get his living honestly". It turns out Ben and I are concerned about the same point. I am concerned he will make his living eating chicken dinners without providing a single piece of legal tender that bears his likeness. Until I am proven right, we will continue to be enamored with the beauty and majesty of this 7-foot behemoth of a bird.