Tuesday, June 18, 2019

What a Fathers Day Weekend

I drove our first batch of meat chickens to the processor on Thursday evening. We haul them in a covered trailer to protect from the weather and pack very loosely for comfort/airflow. Additionally, we haul them at night when the temperature is typically cooler. Our processor needs them there at 7am so we usually get there late at night and park in the unloading area. This helps keep the birds unstressed and comfortable. This is always an enjoyable trip, as it is complete farm country and I'm like a kid in a candy store. Our processor is Amish, so we are able to enjoy their community and get to know them. It is a community of wonderfully humble people. This trip, however, was extra special. On Thursday Atticus announced that he was coming with me. Of course, that was ok with me. With 3 kids, one-on-one time is rare. Atticus and I got to have long conversations, laugh, look at farm stuff, watch combines harvesting wheat, visit the Amish produce auction, Visit the tractor store, and have lunch at the old fashion soda fountain. This boy is a true gem. He is a thinker, and I love fielding his questions. It was the best start to a Fathers Day weekend that I could have ever imagined.