Monday, November 23, 2020

A Thankful Revelation

We hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving week, albeit a rather odd one. But hey, 2020... right? Yes its a weird year, but that shouldn't stand in the way of our thankfulness. In fact we may have had a little more reflection time this year to evaluate all that we should be thankful for.
In the spirit of the season, I want to share a revelation I had a few years back. Maybe I'm the only one that didn't get this in the first place. If so, hopefully a reminder isn't a waste of your time. This is the revelation I had: Ambition and Contentment are not on the same continuum. For years I thought I couldn't allow myself to be content, because I considered myself ambitious. In my mind being content meant I didn't want to reach further and achieve more. I was afraid contentment would lead to complacency, and I wouldn't do the things that I wanted to do in life. Now Complacency may be the best word to live on the opposite end of the Ambition continuum. Contentment though is a totally different continuum of its own. Contentment, I learned, is something that I do want to be. It is a state of being satisfied, happy, and at ease. You can be content, no matter where you fall on the ambition continuum. Your goals and your plans for the future can be ambitious, AND you can still be content in this moment. That was powerful for me, and I hope it reaches someone else that can benefit from this revelation. This year I am thankful for lots of things, including contentment in this moment and ambition for the future.