Monday, May 4, 2020

Wet Weather Garlic

As you know, among all sorts of other craziness, this has been a really wet spring. When I checked on part of our garlic crop I realized that the wet weather had taken its toll on it also. It seems that due to the extra moisture the garlic's paper like layer that usually surrounds the bulbs either didn't develop, or more likely broke down due to the moisture. We have another crop that is looking better (normal development) , but I hate to see this one go to waste. So here's what I'm gonna do. I've harvested some already and the cloves are fresh and tasty, they just will not have the leaves that form the paper like outer layer. These will not store for a long time like full bulbs, but they will be great if you plan to use them in the next 2-3 weeks. Probably best to keep refrigerated. They will made available in 1/4 lb increments instead of 1/2 lb since they likely will not store as long. Get some fresh garlic and enjoy.