Monday, June 4, 2018

Growing Farmers

Being a farmer is hard and the hours are long, but the work is rewarding. Its one of those jobs that you have for the lifestyle as much as anything else. I always try to go about my business in a way that my kids will be able to see the virtues this profession. Like when we are able to witness the birth of a baby calf, or play for hours on end with baby chicks, or feel the gentle nudge of a cow that wants some affection,or see the look on the face of a customer as they purchase a product with our name on it. Likewise, I never try to hide the hard part. Like the long hours, the unpredictable weather, the shared sacrifices of our family, or the inevitable hollow feeling when we loose a precious animal. Even though they see the ups and downs, our children are definitely drawn to the lifestyle. Right now its not our job to guide them toward a career path. Rather, we are trying to raise strong, smart, responsible, respectful, confident, and courageous humans.  If the road of life brings any of them back to the farm for their occupation, then I will be happy to work alongside them. If life takes them in other directions, I will be their biggest supporter. Acknowledging all that, it sure did make this daddy smile to see what my boy wanted written on his sign at preschool graduation.