Monday, November 20, 2023

Slowing Down

Most of the ryegrass seed has been deposited in its proper location, now waiting on a rain... Until that rain comes I have several things on my to-do list. Honestly, it's enough to keep me busy through the new year, but this week we get to slow down a little bit. We not only slow down because the majority of the turkeys are delivered and the majority of the fall planting is finished. We slow down to make sure we remain thankful. We work a lot. But no matter how much we work, we never want to lose sight of what a blessing it is to get to do this job for a living. I have loved farming since I could walk I guess. I remember my dad strapping me on top of a D19 Allis Chalmers tractor when I was around 6 years old. I drove that tractor at probably 2 miles per hour while everyone else loaded hay on a trailer. My dad could walk faster than the tractor, but I thought I was on top of the world. So yes, regardless of the path life may have taken me, I think I would have always been involved in farming somehow or another. The blessing on top of the blessing is that we get to produce food for all of you fine folks. Many of you have been customers for several years, and we count many of you as friends. Farming to produce a product and sell it on an open market, not knowing where it might end up would be okay, but it wouldn't be as good as this. We not only have the privilege to farm, but we get to produce food for people that we know and respect. This is such an honor, and I am so thankful. This year We were able to put a cherry on top of this sunday. You may remember back in the summer I announced that Julie had left her "day job" and started to work with me here at the farm. It's going great, and we consider it such a privilege that we get to work together daily. That's another level of thankfulness. I don't write this to make farm life sound like an episode of the Waltons. It's definitely not. There has been blood, sweat, and tears poured out over this farm for generations. And I am fully aware that the generations before me struggled more than we do now. Beyond the struggles though, there is a big picture to keep in mind. Getting to do something that we love, while being surrounded by people that we love, and doing all that for people we know and respect. We can't be thankful enough for that. Y'all have a great Thanksgiving.