Monday, February 11, 2019

On the Farm

This has been a crazy winter. Partially because we have been expanding our chicken production, so that added extra items to the to-do list. But also because of the amount of rain we've had throughout the fall and into the winter. It would be best if we had corn harvested in October, but typically I am running a bit behind and that rolls over into November. Well, this year November till now it has been very wet. (In addition to a couple of mechanical issues on the combine). I just haven't been able to get into the field to get the corn out. Well, mid-February was the time. I must say I felt somewhat embarrassed taking our machinery to the field this time of year, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The corn stalks have obviously deteriorated some due to our tardiness, but the kernels were still in good condition. Actually, the crop was in better condition than I expected. Even though we fed the wildlife more than we wanted to. We were able to harvest almost half of the acreage. Some are still to wet. I had plans to get up this morning and harvest the rest of the ground that wasn't wet... and guess what.... It's raining.