Monday, May 29, 2017

Slowing Down

Flag at Carlton Farms
Life on the farm never really stops. Most of the time that's no biggie. However, on holidays we sometimes long for a giant pause button that we could press. In this imaginary world, the animals would be comfortable and happy until we unpaused the farm. Then we could, with much less stress, spend leisure time with family and friends.  My dad always said, "If I could invent a 5-day /week cow, I'd be able to retire." He was joking, but like many jokes there is some truth to be extracted. This job/lifestyle is demanding, relentless, and exhausting. Don't get me wrong, I chose this life and I love it. Honestly, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But I can't help it if my mind wanders every now and then to explore what a 2 week vacation would feel like. (insert beach emoji)
In the meantime, we slow down. On days like today when we should stop and remember the men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, we slow down. We take these slow days to acknowledge holidays and to nurture those family relationships that sometimes get strained by the neverending work. Today we slow down to say thank you for protecting our freedom to the over 600,000 that paid the highest price. 
Jersey and her doll at Carlton Farms
with the flag in the background.